XFL to return to eight cities, including inside NY/NJ’s MetLife Stadium
NY/NJ’s MetLife Stadium named one of the eight cities for the return of the XFL in 2020
If you thought this was all some sort of joke or illusion, think again. The XFL is officially back, and apparently better than ever.
At a press conference at MetLife Stadium, WWE’s Vince McMahon and Commissioner Oliver Luck discussed all the plans for the launch of the XFL. The league is expected to return in 2020 during the weekend of February 8-9, right after that year’s Super Bowl. Among the eight cities announced, the New York/New Jersey area was able to grab a team. MetLife Stadium will be the host of three teams; the Giants, Jets and an unknown XFL team. The Hitmen were the last New York/New Jersey team to be in the league back in 2001.
Here are the list of cities and stadiums chosen for the 2020 relaunch:
– NY/NJ – MetLife Stadium
– Arlington, Texas – Globe Life Park – current home of the Texas Rangers, who will be moving out
– Houston, Texas – TDECU Stadium – University of Houston
– Los Angeles, California – StubHub Center – current home of the LA Galaxy
– St. Louis, Missouri – Dome at America’s Center – former home of the Rams, who moved to LA
– Seattle, Washington – CenturyLink Field – home of the Sounders and Seahawks
– Tampa, Florida – Raymond James Stadium – home of the Buccaneers
– Washington, D.C. – Audi Field – home of D.C. United
“After months of research and consideration, we’re thrilled to announce the cities and venues of the XFL’s eight inaugural teams,” Commissioner Luck stated. “We are committed to being ingrained in the local community and extremely fortunate that our teams will have world-class facilities to call home.”
In addition, new rules were made for the XFL. In its first and only year, it was considered the Wild West. Now, there is an idea of what exactly it will become in regards to a true alternative to the NFL.
XFL plans, per commish Oliver Luck …
* Speed: Shorter play clock, more technology
* Action: Changes to PR/KR, play clock, etc.
* Rhythm: Limiting timeouts, simplifying rules
* Safety: No specifics
— Adam Silverstein (@SilversteinAdam) December 5, 2018
Whether limiting time affects the durability of the players is unknown, but Luck stated that conditioning will be a main priority. He also stated that no WWE stars will be involved with the league. The Rock and a few others were helping promote it back in 2001.
Those who want to attend games can reserve your season ticket deposits here on the league’s official site.
Are you excited for the return of the XFL?
Latest posts by Daniel Yanofsky (see all)
- Jarrell Miller denied license by NYAC following failed drug test - April 18, 2019
- Who is new XFL New York President Janet Duch? - April 16, 2019
- The Main Event, Episode 20 – WrestleMania 35 Review - April 16, 2019