They're Back!! Pitchers and Catchers Report to Tampa for the Yankees
Baseball season has begun. Pitchers and Catcher are reporting to spring training to begin workouts. Position players will file in soon after.
The Yankees pitchers and catchers officially reported to Tampa, Florida today to begin spring training. The Mets will begin camp tomorrow with pitchers and catchers reporting.
The Yankees come in as the defending World Series Champions and looking to repeat. Some changes have been made this offseason. Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui, and Melky Cabrera are out, Curtis Granderson is in, and Nick Johnson and Javier Vasquez are returning.
This years team fully expects to repeat as World Champions once again. Isn’t that the goal every year for our Yankees?
The team is built to do it, but a few questions remain. They may seem like minor questions for many, but they are questions none the less.
– Who wins the battle for the 5th spot in the starting rotation? Is it Phil Hughes or Joba Chamberlain? Everyone expects it to be one of those two, but could a long shot earn the spot? Possibly Chad Guadin, Alfredo Aceves, or Sergio Mitre?
– Who bats in the two spot in the loaded lineup? Yes, the Yankees once again have a star studded lineup that is up with the best in the league. Does they go with on-base machine Nick Johnson in the two spot? Or do they use the power and speed combo of Curtis Granderson?
– Who’s in left? Newcomer Granderson can play either centerfield or move to left. Speedster Brett Gardner can also play either position although if he starts, he likely plays center. Does Gardner join Granderson in the starting lineup or will Randy Winn earn the starting left field job, forcing Gardner to the bench?
Most teams would love to have these questions. They are very minor compared to most teams. The Yankees will enjoy this spring as they prepare to defend their title.
Spring Training has arrived. Baseball has arrived!! And I must say, its perfect timing considering all the snow still laying on my front lawn with more threatening to come early next week!
Latest posts by Staff Post (see all)
- The Essential Resources You Need to Start Your Own Gym in 2020 - February 6, 2020
- Wilder vs Fury II – How the second fight will be different to the first? - February 5, 2020
- Early turnovers, defensive struggles plague the Scarlet Knights - January 26, 2020
- DGS Staff Reflects on Favorite 2019 Metro-Area Sports Moments - December 31, 2019