The one fight UFC fans have been waiting for is finally happening. Cody “No Love” Garbrandt and T.J. Dillashaw will square off under the bright lights of New York City at UFC 217 on November 4th. Dillashaw (14-3) will be looking to become a two-time UFC Bantamweight champion against the current champion Garbrandt (11-0). It appears that Cody’s campaigning has paid off. The fight was confirmed on “UFC Tonight” on Fox Sports 1.
For months, the idea of this match taking place was enticing to many. They almost made everyone’s dreams come true before. The two were supposed to square off at UFC 213 in Las Vegas, but Garbrandt withdrew due to a back injury. After months of back talk, especially on Twitter, the fight was back on.
This will be Cody’s first defense of the title since beating Dominick Cruz for it via unanimous decision at UFC 207 in December.
The two fighters have a rivalry that stems from their affiliation with Team Alpha Male. Dillashaw no longer associates himself with the group. One of the fastest-rising stars in UFC today, Garbrandt has seemingly replaced Dillashaw as the future of the group. During their time as coaches on The Ultimate Fighter 25, these warriors went at it any chance they got. Now that the leashes will be off, we can expect quite a show from two of the best, who also happen to have bitter feelings towards one another.
Johny Hendricks v. Paulo Borrachinha is another fight that was confirmed for MSG a few days ago. Other fights confirmed for UFC 217, thanks to the broadcast, are:
- Curtis “Razor” Blaydes (7-1) v. Aleksei Oleinik (52-10-1)
- Corey Anderson (9-2) v. Doylestown’s Patrick Cummins (10-4)
- Gadzhimurad Antigulov (20-4) v. Ion “The Hulk” Cutelaba (13-1(1))
- Ricardo Ramos (10-1) v. Aiemann Zahabi (7-0)
Not a bad undercard at all from what I can see.
Tickets for UFC 217 are not on sale yet. While the initial rumored date was September 6th, the post on the UFC Instagram page says September 15th. Regardless, tickets will be available on Ticketmaster and the Garden box office. “No Love” is here to convince you to buy a ticket, if for some reason you were having second thoughts:
Latest posts by Daniel Yanofsky (see all)
- Live Video: UFC 244 Press Conference - September 19, 2019
- Main Card Mainstay: Jake Hager to compete at Bellator 231 in CT - September 19, 2019
- The Main Event, Episode 25: David Diamante on boxing, Devin Haney and Hardy v. Serrano - September 13, 2019
- Heather Hardy v. Amanda Serrano – A True Dream Match Come To Life - September 13, 2019