New York Yankees Winter Meetings Rumors; Lee, Jeter, Wood, Harden
A quick look at some of the names surrounding the Yankees in the latest winter meeting rumors. Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford, Derek Jeter, and more…
Never a dull moment in the land of the New York Yankees and this offseason is no different. The early talk was Cliff Lee and Derek Jeter. Now that Jeter is signed, all the attention is focused on the big name lefty, Lee.
Yankees GM Brian Cashman was apparently frustrated and somewhat annoyed with the pace of the Lee negotiations. There had been conflicting reports to whether or not the Yankees had made an offer for the free agent pitcher. It now appears they have and many other teams as well.
Cashman spoke with Lee’s agent, Darek Braunecker last night and continues to check in with him throughout the day today. Yes Network’s Jack Curry spotted Braunecker last night and asked if the Yankees had made an offer. Braunecker declined comment but did smile.
Some rumors have teams going seven years for Lee. The Yankees are not one of them and from the sounds of it, they will not go that long.
Here are some other rumors surrounding the Yankees:
– The team would like to bring back pitcher Alfredo Aceves but only on a minor league deal.
– Platoon player Matt Diaz was a possibility for the Yankees but that is now gone since he signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Diaz could have been a nice fit as he as a career batting average of .335 against left handed pitchers.
– Cashman has met with representatives for relief pitcher Pedro Feliciano.
– Starter/Reliever Dustin Moseley has become a free agent.
– The Yankees are still in on catcher Russell Martin. There seems to be a good number of teams interested in the veteran catcher.
– Shortstop Derek Jeter used the word “angry” when discussing his feelings no how his contract negotiations became public. Jeter also said the phrase “one big happy family.” Think he is a little bitter?
– Lee is not the only pitcher the Yankees are battling with the Texas Rangers to acquire. The two teams are the finalists to land Mark Prior. Yes, that Mark Prior, the one that has not pitched in a major league game since 2006. The 30 year old is looking to catch on as a relief pitcher.
– Cashman and the Yankees would like to sign Kerry Wood but the GM has said he is not willing to pay “closer money.”
– The Yankees also checked in on Rich Harden. Many teams in fact have interest in the free agent pitcher. Harden is mostly a fastball-changeup type pitcher now a days and could be used as a starter or in a relief role.
– Cashmen had dinner with Carl Crawford’s rep last night. The Yankees seem to be staying in touch with Crawford. Some think he is the backup plan in case they do not sign Lee. Others suggest the Yankees will have enough money to sign both Lee and Crawford if Andy Pettitte decides to retire.
Latest posts by Staff Post (see all)
- The Essential Resources You Need to Start Your Own Gym in 2020 - February 6, 2020
- Wilder vs Fury II – How the second fight will be different to the first? - February 5, 2020
- Early turnovers, defensive struggles plague the Scarlet Knights - January 26, 2020
- DGS Staff Reflects on Favorite 2019 Metro-Area Sports Moments - December 31, 2019