New Japan Pro Wrestling to Introduce New Tag Titles
Throughout the years, New Japan Pro Wrestling has become a dominant force in professional wrestling. Various companies have attempted to work together with NJPW due to their rich history. Promotions like Ring of Honor, Global Force Wrestling and others have utilized partnerships with the company to create great opportunities and matches. It looks like more history is looking to be made by New Japan. The promotion has announced the introduction to a new title: The NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship.
This will be the seventh title New Japan has in its company. The other titles are:
- IWGP Heavyweight Championship
- IWGP Intercontinental Championship
- NEVER Openweight Championship
- IWGP Tag Team Championship
- IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
- IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
A match to crown a new champion will happen at NJPW’s Wrestle Kingdom 10, inside the Tokyo Dome on January 4, 2016. The match will consist of Toru Yano and Mark and Jay Briscoe vs. The Bullet Club’s Tama Tonga, Yujiro Takahashi and Bad Luck Fale. This is the company’s biggest event to start off the year (their equivalent to WrestleMania), and has become an annual event for NJPW since 1992.
New Japan’s talent deal with Ring of Honor allows both companies to combine forces for this huge event, letting the Ring of Honor title be defended on that day. Three man tag team matches are not new to both companies, as they have utilized their partnership to put on great matches.
They are also not the first company to introduce an innovative title. Lucha Underground has the Trios Championship, where both male and female wrestlers fight together for the title. LU has produced some great matches and even better moments as a result of it.
New Japan is looking to pull out all the stops in their biggest event to start the New Year. Here’s hoping for an innovating match that can change the landscape of professional wrestling.
Latest posts by Daniel Yanofsky (see all)
- Former champion, colorful personality Ben Askren announces retirement from MMA - November 18, 2019
- BKFC 9: Jason Knight evens the score against Artem Lobov - November 18, 2019
- The Main Event, Episode 27: Jason Knight on fighting Artem Lobov at BKFC 9 - November 15, 2019
- Jacob deGrom wins the NL Cy Young award for the second consecutive year - November 14, 2019