Huge matches set for MLW’s Opera Cup event on Dec. 5th
While the majority of the pro wrestling world continues to talk about AEW v. WWE, one company continues to grow outside all of that. Major League Wrestling is having an acclaimed 2019 thanks to TV deals and a variety of talent. They hope to end the year off with a bang thanks in part to the Opera Cup.
Last competed for 71 years ago, the Opera Cup was a multi-day tournament featuring the best pro wrestlers from all over the world. The tournament cup was resurfaced by Teddy Hart following the passing of Stu Hart, the last winner in 1948. Now the tradition of the Opera Cup continues in New York City on December 5 inside the Melrose Ballroom.
The following opening-round matches are set to take place on December 5th:
– MJF v. Alex Hammerstone
– Shinjiro Otani vs. Davey Boy Smith
– Timothy Thatcher v. Richard Holliday
– TJP vs. Brian Pillman Jr.
Davey Boy Smith and Brian Pillman Jr. have a true connection to the last winner, as they are either related or have family that has worked closely with the Hart’s. MLW National Openweight Champion Alex Hammerstone will face teammate and AEW standout MJF in a bout that is sure to be a conflict of interest. Will the Dynasty teammates be able to hold their emotions intact?
With wrestlers like Thatcher, Otani and TJP, the styles are sure to be different, resulting in a great night for wrestling fans. A non-tournament match set for December 5 will be Jacob Fatu, Ikuro Kwon and Simon Gotch of CONTRA Unit v. CIMA, El Lindaman and Shigehiro Irie.
Tickets for the Opera Cup on 12/5 are on sale now and can be purchased at this link.
Latest posts by Daniel Yanofsky (see all)
- UFC 245 salaries and fight purses revealed: Covington, Usman lead all - December 14, 2019
- Decisions from UFC 245 could result in 2020 title opportunities - December 14, 2019
- Respecting his ability, Jon Jones is ready to dominate Dominick Reyes at UFC 247 - December 13, 2019
- UFC 247 LIVE Press Conference Video - December 13, 2019