Eddie Alvarez and Demetrious Johnson to make their ONE Championship debuts in March
Both fighters are former champions with the UFC. Alvarez signed as a free agent while Johnson was traded.
After securing two of the top fighters in MMA today, it is only fitting ONE Championship books them for the same supercard. The organization announced that Eddie Alvarez and Demetrious Johnson will make their debut for ONE on March 31st in Tokyo. Streaming on the ONE app, the event called ONE: A New Era will be held inside Ryogoku Kokugikan.
Alvarez (29-6, 1 NC) signed with ONE back in October, with the announcement that he would be a part of the organizations Lightweight Grand Prix. The former Bellator and UFC Lightweight Champion will be facing off against Tomogey Nastyukhin (12-4) in a first-round match.
As for Johnson (27-3-1), the longest-reigning UFC Flyweight Champion will look to continue his dominance against Yuya Wakamatsu (10-3). Both fighters will look to advance in ONE’s other tournament, the Flyweight Grand Prix. Johnson was traded from the UFC for Ben Askren.
While both matchups don’t seem like much of a challenge for Alvarez or Johnson on paper, they are the first big test for both fighters in a new atmosphere. All eyes will be on them as ONE looks to start off a new chapter in 2019.
Other matches on the March 31st card include:
– Xiong Jing Nan (c) v. Angela Lee – Strawweight Championship
– Aung La N Sang (c) v. Ken Hasegawa – Middleweight Championship
– Eduard Folayang (c) v. Shinya Aoki – Lightweight Championship
– Yodsanklai Fairtex v. Andy Souwer
Latest posts by Daniel Yanofsky (see all)
- Mets hire Luis Rojas to replace Carlos Beltran as manager - January 23, 2020
- An Outsider’s 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot - January 21, 2020
- A Wild Yo Sighting: Yoenis Cespedes participates in running, fielding and hitting drills - January 21, 2020
- Following Conor McGregor’s win at UFC 246, is “The King” truly back? - January 20, 2020