DAZN U.S. officially debuts with MAJOR Matchroom Boxing and Bellator announcements, matchups
Two of the fastest-rising promotions in MMA and boxing have officially been added to the DAZN family
The combat sports world has officially changed the way fans can watch events, and that is through DAZN. The streaming service already brought Matchroom Boxing and Bellator MMA into their family, which will provide them a wider audience. Now, it was time to make it official. In a press conference, the official debut of DAZN USA was announced, along with several key matchups on the program.
Here is the basic info on all things DAZN (pronounced Da-Zone), for those unfamiliar with the international application:
– DAZN will officially debut in America on September 10. As CEO of DAZN James Rushton stated, the product is produced by the fans, for the fans.
– The price? $9.99 a month, about the same as the WWE Network and UFC Fight Pass. A one-month free trial is allowed. Fans can use the platform on a multitude of devices and can cancel their subscription at any time.
– There will be 70 live events between MMA and boxing, with 55 of those events exclusively on DAZN
– No tape delays or blackouts for users. This appeared to be the most popular statement of the entire rundown
The service is looking to change the way everyone views world class events. Rushton went on to say:
“We launched DAZN to disrupt the status quo and change the way the world sees sports. When you get DAZN, you’ll get all the fights; we won’t stash our best matchups for PPV, linear TV or a higher-tier package. And you’re going to get the entire card live, no matter the time zone and without constraints for one affordable price.”
Interested yet? That wasn’t even the best part.
On the boxing side, Eddie Hearn announced several fights scheduled on the DAZN platform. It all starts with a Heavyweight Title fight on September 22 in London, as Anthony Joshua faces Alexander Povetkin. The next event will be on October 6 in Chicago. That event features Jessie Vargas and Demetrius Andrade in action. Matches announced include some heavy hitters, including Artur Beterbiev v. Callum Johnson, Jarrell “Big Baby” Miller v. Artur Szpilka and Katie Taylor v. Cindy Serrano. He also announced the signings of Daniel Roman, Maurice Hooker and several local talent from the Brooklyn area.
On the MMA side of things, Scott Coker was brief, as he already announced the Gegard Mousasi v. Rory MacDonald fight and the Quintin “Rampage” Jackson v. Wanderlei Silva bout. As a result, he needed to make a much bigger announcement. He went on to introduce several talent that will be included in the newly-created Welterweight Grand Prix. The list of the 9 of 10 fighters involved include:
- Welterweight Champion MacDonald
- Michal Page
- Douglas Lima
- Ed Ruth
- Lorenz Larkin
- Jon Fitch
- Neiman Gracie
- Andry Koreshkov
- Yaroslav Amosov
The first bout of the tournament will be on DAZN as well, featuring Lima v. Koreshkov. That will take place at Bellator 205, featuring the MacDonald/Mousasi bout.
Although it was already hot in New York City, the heat really picked up following this announcement. The first major partnership of this kind involves two of the fastest-rising promotions in both MMA and boxing. As launch day approaches, both Matchroom and Bellator are doing all they can to bring fans aboard.
Are you ready to join the DAZN family?
Latest posts by Daniel Yanofsky (see all)
- Mets hire Luis Rojas to replace Carlos Beltran as manager - January 23, 2020
- An Outsider’s 2020 Hall of Fame Ballot - January 21, 2020
- A Wild Yo Sighting: Yoenis Cespedes participates in running, fielding and hitting drills - January 21, 2020
- Following Conor McGregor’s win at UFC 246, is “The King” truly back? - January 20, 2020