Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Memorial Day, NASCAR Salutes
NASCAR: An American Salute will use the social media hashtag #NASCARSalutes.
This coming Memorial Day will have a special tribute for fallen officers when all 43 NASCAR drivers who take part in the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway will have names of fallen officers in the “600 Miles of Remembrance” as they partake in a special tribute to military members and their families. According to an official statement by NASCAR, “the launch of NASCAR: An American Salute™, [is ]the industry’s collective expression of reverence, respect and gratitude for those who have served and continue to defend our nation today.” According to Brent Dewar, NASCAR chief operating officer, “The NASCAR community rallying to honor the U.S. Armed Forces, past and present, has long been part of our sport’s heritage. As part of NASCAR: An American Salute, 600 Miles of Remembrance represents a special moment in time as we pay tribute to service members who have sacrificed dearly for our freedom.”
The names that will be displayed on the cars, have been mainly chosen by the race teams: Private Dean Van Dyke, who was killed in the Vietnam War, was a relative of No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing driver Greg Biffle. Army First Lieutenant Daniel Hyde, killed during Operation Iraqi Freedom, served alongside Chris Clayton, tire changer on the No. 83 BK Racing team.
Throughout the seven weeks that follow, NASCAR: An American Salute will use the social media hashtag #NASCARSalutes and fans can follow along with the stories that commemorate fallen officers, and show tribute to those military members that teams will be honoring. On race day, families will be honored and there will be festivities that will be done all in tribute to our military and their families. Throughout the campaign, NASCAR will host military families at each NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race as part of NASCAR Troops to the Track™ Presented by Bank of America.
According to the official press release, several of the “NASCAR Official Partners have mobilized to support NASCAR: An American Salute with military-themed activations, including:
- For the sixth straight year, Goodyear is rallying NASCAR fans to support members of the U.S. Armed Forces through its “Goodyear Gives Back” charitable program benefitting the Support Our Troops® organization. To kick off the program, Goodyear will once again transform its NASCAR race tires by replacing the “Eagle” sidewall design with “Support Our Troops” messaging on all tires used during Memorial Day weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. This effort coincides with the May 21 launch of Goodyear’s charity auction at www.Goodyear.com/GivesBack, which features autographed NASCAR memorabilia, VIP race experiences and rides on the Goodyear Blimp.
- Bank of America is the presenting partner of NASCAR Troops to the Track – a season-long program that honors members of the military and their families for their services, and treats them to a NASCAR race experience. This program is an extension of Bank of America’s long-standing commitment to the military, focused on helping veterans and service members’ transition to civilian life.
- NASCAR, Coca-Cola, Mars Chocolate North America and 3M have collaborated to engage shoppers in over 180 military commissaries. On Tuesday, May 19, there will be all-day activation at Fort Bragg Commissary South featuring an appearance by Coca-Cola Racing Family Member Joey Logano, who will be giving away tickets to the Coca-Cola 600. From May 18 to July 8, commissary shoppers can enter the 2015 Champion’s Week Sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip to Las Vegas for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion’s Week by texting “NASCARSALUTE” to 313131 or by visiting www.championsweek2015.com.
- M&M’s will introduce a national letter-writing campaign, in partnership with Operation Gratitude, encouraging fans to send messages of thanks and appreciation to military members. The notes will be included in more than 100,000 Operation Gratitude Care Packages which will be assembled and shipped to Troops deployed in harm’s way and to New Recruits upon their graduation from Boot Camp.
- During Daytona International Speedway’s Coke Zero 400, all active duty military, veterans and their families can enjoy the Troops Welcome Center Presented by M&M’s. The center, which will be located in the midway, will be fully equipped with food and beverages, allowing service members to take a break and meet NASCAR drivers throughout the weekend.
- In honor of the military, Miss Sprint Cup will wear NASCAR: An American Salute fire suits at the Coca-Cola 600 and Coke Zero 400.
To learn more about Charlotte Motor Speedway, you can folow @CLTMotorSpdwy on Twitter.
To learn more about NASCAR: An American Salute, visit www.NASCAR.com/Salute and follow @NASCAR on Twitter.
Latest posts by Judythe Ann Michelle (see all)
- Bets Like A Girl, Episode 1: Looking Toward the NFL Season; NYG Predictions - August 22, 2019
- Former Scarlet Knight takes home MVP at WNBA All-Star Game in Las Vegas - July 27, 2019
- Monmouth Park Open for Sports Betting on June 14 - June 13, 2018