Bump N’ Run w/ KT: Chris Ivory May Be Wearing Down, Kean Defeats Rowan And College Football Playoff Rankings
Another week of Bump N’ Run and I will say that this may have been the best weekend of football so far this season in both college and the NFL. Saturday was a major day in college as “Separation Saturday” may have spelled doom for some teams’ playoff hopes. Meanwhile the NFL season saw more major injuries while the pretenders are beginning to separate from the contenders. Let’s get started with the second occupant of MetLife Stadium, the New York Jets
Is Something Wrong With Chris Ivory?
During the Jets’ 28-23 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars, it seemed that Chris Ivory could not get his motor moving for the third consecutive game. Although he did score two short-yardage touchdowns in the game, Ivory had only 26 yards on 23 carries which continued his streak of rushing for under 50 yards. Against New England he had only 41 yards and against Oakland Ivory only rushed for 17 yards.
It seems that Ivory’s hard charging running style, while successful early, may actually be a curse as he is beginning to wear down as the season moves on. It also doesn’t help that Pro Bowl center Nick Mangold is battling neck issues but even before that, you began to see Ivory’s numbers and amount of big runs begin to drop significantly. With Bilal Powell and Zac Stacy on the roster, it may benefit the Jets to use those two running backs a little more in order to conserve Chris Ivory for the stretch of the season when a playoff berth could be on the line.
Kean Outlasts Rowan In Overtime
The game of the week locally may have been down in Union, NJ. In a battle of two of the top teams in the NJAC, Kean took on Rowan as the Cougars were looking to move into a tie with their rivals in the conference. In a game that needed overtime to decide, Kean defeated Rowan 20-17 on a game winning touchdown run from quarterback Charles App.
Kean’s defense was the story of the game as they held Rowan’s offense to just 251 yards. App, who scored the only rushing TD of the day for Kean, ran for 90 yards on just 11 carries while throwing for 177 yards and two touchdowns. The win gave both Kean and Rowan a 5-3 record in the NJAC as both teams move into their last games of the season. Kean finishes up with a match-up at Montclair State on Saturday while Rowan plays at home against The College of New Jersey on Friday night.
Around The Country
- Are we really going to see Alabama win the SEC again? After Ole Miss suffered a heartbreaking loss against Arkansas, the Crimson Tide are now leading the SEC West and control their own destiny to win the division and take on Florida in the SEC Championship game. Here’s hoping that Auburn shows up and makes a game out of The Iron Bowl later this month because they are the only thing keeping ‘Bama out of the College Football Playoff.
- The Oakland Raiders did lose against the Steelers on a last-second field goal but for the second consecutive week, Derek Carr torched another good NFL defense. Carr threw for 301 yards and four touchdowns as the Raiders continue to be the league’s biggest surprise. This year may not be their year but mark my words, the Raiders have finally figured out how a real NFL franchise should work and they could be competing for a AFC West crown sooner than later.
- Can the New York Giants just cut Jon Beason now? He may be one of the biggest wastes of a roster spot I have ever seen and I am being very…democratic in how I word this statement because I’m thinking so much worse right now.
- The second edition of the College Football Playoff rankings will be released on Tuesday night and while all eyes are on ESPN for the reveal, there is not reason for the rankings to be released so early. Wait until at least the final three weeks remaining in the regular season before you release a ranking for games that are to be played in late December. This is a ratings ploy for ESPN to get millions of viewers to see who is in the top four and then for everyone to debate those same rankings on Wednesday. It’s unnecessary and needs to be changed.
Latest posts by Kahlil Thomas (see all)
- Guardians outmatched in 27-0 blowout loss against D.C. - February 15, 2020
- McGloin, Guardians open XFL season with win over Tampa Bay - February 9, 2020
- Are the Seton Hall Pirates a viable National Championship contender? - February 1, 2020
- Saint Peter’s falls to 2-2 in MAAC play after loss to Canisius - January 12, 2020