Bump N’ Run: Giants Reboot, Jets Surprise And Playoff Time In College Football
“It’s been a long time, we shouldn’t of left you,
Without a dope beat to step to.”
It has been a few weeks, but the Bump N’ Run column has returned. I have stayed away as my ability to look at football critically was clouded by the debacle that is the New York Football Giants season. To be frank, I have yelled obscenities for what seems like two months at my TV every single Sunday…even when the Giants had a bye week.
With all of that said, Bump N’ Run is back. Let’s begin the triumphant return with the end of the long national nightmare this week.
McAdoo, Reese Out As Giants Clean House
The bane of my existence for the last three months has been Ben McAdoo. The former Giants coach was the master of nonsense as his postgame comments were stuff that my elementary aged nephew could handle better. His inability to control the players on the team or do his job was a display in futility. Add in former general manager Jerry Reese and his refusal to upgrade the porous offensive line, and you had Dumb and Dumber running the New York Giants franchise.
Finally, Giants ownership got the message as they fired McAdoo and Reese on Monday after a 2-10 start to the season. Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo (who should have gotten the job when McAdoo was hired) takes over as interim head coach. Kevin Abrams takes over as the acting general manager role as the search for a new GM begins.
Let’s keep it 100, this move should have been made weeks ago. John Mara said that with three of the final four games happening at home, he did not want to subject McAdoo to the vitriol from fans. But Mr. Mara….HE DESERVES IT! He benched a two-time winning Super Bowl MVP for Geno Smith. I will say that again, he benched a two-time Super Bowl MVP for Geno Smith. Not to mention if he said, “I have to look at the tape” one more time, I was going to scream.
Good riddance to both Ben McAdoo and Jerry Reese. Here’s hoping the Giants take their time in finding their next general manager and head coach. The future regime has much work to do to fix what the previous administration screwed up.
The Jets Are The Toast Of New York Football
For the all the misery that the Giants have given me, the Jets are looking like a feel-good story. At 5-7, Gang Green will not make the playoffs, but they are becoming one of the most dangerous teams in the NFL.
All the credit for this season must go to Todd Bowles. Going into the season, the Jets ransacked their roster cutting almost every veteran on the team. That left Bowles with nearly nothing. Now, Bowles has a young team who is playing hard for him, and giving teams fits every single week. Josh McCown is playing hard weekly as he knows that his job is on the line every single game. Robby Anderson is becoming a good NFL receiver and Elijah McGuire is proving to be an NFL- ready running back.
I’m rooting for the Jets for the rest of the season. They may not make the playoffs, but they sure are fun to watch.
Moving The Chains
- The College Football Playoff is set as (1) Clemson takes on (4) Alabama and (2) Oklahoma goes against (4) Georgia. I am still not sure about Alabama being included. Teams who do not win their conference should not be allowed into the playoff, point blank.
- The Falcons defeated the Saints on Thursday night at home, but it seems as if they are still recovering from last year’s Super Bowl. Matt Ryan and the team just seems off.
- The coaching carousel in college football is in full swing as numerous coaches continue to lie to recruits and their families about taking care of them, only to leave for more money. Willie Taggart is on his third job in a year after leaving Oregon for Florida State. It is a sad state of affairs and shows that these men genuinely have no loyalty.
- Finally, a big shout out to Columbia University as they finished their season at 8-2. They finished 5-2 in the Ivy League, good for a second-place tie, their highest finish in 21 years. With a young team, the Lions could be in the running for the Ivy League crown next season.
Latest posts by Kahlil Thomas (see all)
- St. John’s edges West Virginia in Big East-Big 12 battle at MSG - December 7, 2019
- Galajda picks up shutout as Cornell defeats Boston University at MSG - December 1, 2019
- Saint Peter’s picks up first win of season against St. Francis Brooklyn - November 30, 2019
- The NFL continues to blackball Colin Kaepernick after sham workout - November 24, 2019