If the Mets played the Phillies every day, I’m sure they would not mind. The team swept the Phillies after a 5-4 victory tonight, with Zach Wheeler getting the win. It was an important win for Wheeler, as it was his first since 2014.
Coming back from Tommy John Surgery, it was unknown what Zach Wheeler would be able to do for the team. After struggling in his first outing back, Wheeler dramatically improved. The 26-year old went 5.2 IP, walked one and struck out four. The only error in his game was when he loaded the bases in the sixth inning as the Mets were leading 5-0. Hansel Robles came in and Maikel Franco hit a first-pitch grand slam off of him.
Not even able to compete past the first inning last time out, this was a huge improvement for Wheeler. His fastball was consistently around 95 MPH and he was also able to control his secondary pitches. If Wheeler can continue to have games like tonight, all of the waiting will be worth it.
This series was important for the team. A few days ago, the Mets’ offense appeared to be sleeping. Three games later, and this looks like a completely different team. They outscored the Phillies 23-11, and outhomered them, 10-3. The team is now 6-3 as they head down to Miami.
Other notes from the game:
- Michael Conforto continued to prove why he should consistently be in the lineup. Batting leadoff, Conforto went 2-for-4 with a walk and a home run, his second of the season. He is making Terry Collins’ job a lot harder, especially since Juan Lagares is expected to return soon.
- After hitting three home runs the night before, Yoenis Cespedes did it again. The outfielder had two more RBI’s today, giving him seven over the last two games.
- Addison Reed is 3-for-3 in save opportunities for the Mets this season. The team has only six more games left until Jeurys Familia returns from his suspension.
Latest posts by Daniel Yanofsky (see all)
- Mickey Callaway impressed in his introduction as manager of the Mets - October 23, 2017
- Mets reportedly name Mickey Callaway the new team manager - October 23, 2017
- Medical issues force major changes to WWE TLC, including the in-ring return of Kurt Angle - October 21, 2017