WWE announces the return of Starrcade
One of WCW’s biggest events will be brought back right after Survivor Series
WWE’s tagline is “The, Now, Forever”, a celebration of the past, present and future. After years of requests by fans, the company has decided to bring back a piece of the past. One of the biggest events WCW ever had, Starrcade, will be making it’s grand return in WWE’s image. Pro Wrestling Sheet broke the news that WWE was looking to bring back former WCW events the day before WWE sent out an announcement on their website. Just like the first ever event, this show will air on November 25th back inside the Greensboro Coliseum in North Carolina.
Starrcade was created thanks to Dusty Rhodes in 1983. It was the NWA’s signature event, and continued on when WCW took over. The event has featured some great moments throughout it’s course, including Ric Flair v. Ricky Steamboat in 1989, Hulk Hogan v. Sting and the end of Goldberg’s streak. The last event was in 2000. Over the years, WWE has slowly brought back WCW-themed events, most noticeably The Great American Bash and Clash of Champions. The event will be in a WWE special format, as Survivor Series is a week before, with Thanksgiving following the PPV. The card WWE has planned feels like a PPV-worthy event. The following has been announced so far:
– WWE Championship Steel Cage Match – Jinder Mahal v. Shinsuke Nakamura
– SmackDown Women’s Championship Steel Cage Match – Natalya v. Charlotte Flair
– U.S. Championship Triple Threat Match – AJ Styles v. Baron Corbin v. Rusev
– Texas Tornado Match for the SmackDown Tag Team Titles – New Day v. Usos
– Sami Zayn v. Kevin Owens
– Bobby Roode v. Dolph Ziggler
– Breezango v. Aiden English & Mike Kanellis (with Maria)
While the card is subject to change, the lineup looks like it could be for a big four PPV. Two steel cage matches, one with two talented women? Not too shabby. Other talent announced are legends in their own right: Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat and The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express. Hometown favorites The Hardy Boyz will also get a chance to shine on another brands event. I’ll get to who they could face in a moment.
As a Dusty Rhodes creation, the card lacks some Rhodes representation. Cody Rhodes has recently discussed that issue, with a possible solution. Dustin Rhodes, aka Goldust, could and should get a chance to honor “The American Dream” at an event like this. Michael “P.S.” Hayes has actually invited Cody to come onto the show. That’s when the rumors of a Hardy’s v. Rhodes brothers match started. While it seems like a long shot, pro wrestling has proven to be unpredictable at times. For Cody to come back for one night would be something special. It all depends on the situation at hand, whether it be money or promotion of any kind.
Starrcade has a chance to make a permanent comeback in WWE. While it may be for some publicity for now, there is time to improve on the situation. For now, WCW fans can rejoice they will get to watch something familiar in today’s ever-changing age of pro wrestling.
Latest posts by Daniel Yanofsky (see all)
- Medical issues force major changes to WWE TLC, including the in-ring return of Kurt Angle - October 21, 2017
- Even in defeat, Connecticut’s Vinicius de Jesus has a bright future in Bellator MMA - October 20, 2017
- Gegard Mousasi’s Own Path to Greatness Starts at Bellator 185 - October 20, 2017