In a week full of great sports moments, Tim Tebow has once again snuck into the news cycle. The former NFL quarterback hit his second home run in three days for the Columbia Fireflies. Already 3-0 in the fifth inning, he pulled a three-run home run towards right field. He went 1-for-3 with a walk and the Fireflies beat Augusta 6-0.
Unlike his last home run, it was clear that Tebow’s shot was a no-doubter. He did not stop at second this time. It was his third hit of the year to go along with five strikeouts.
— Columbia Fireflies (@ColaFireflies) April 9, 2017
Columbia is 4-0 to start the season.
Speaking to MLB.com and the other members of the media after the game, Tebow discussed his time with the team and how everything is clicking. He stated:
“It definitely feels good to help the team. We’re competing. It’s fun to get back to the dugout and everyone’s pumped up and ready to go. I think we feed off each other’s excitement.”
In what has been one of the most entertaining stories in all of baseball, Tim Tebow has twice as many home runs than half of the players on the Mets. He is also close to surpassing Michael Jordan’s baseball stats during his run in 1994. Its definitely not fair to compare him to other players, but it is worth noting.
It will be interesting to see how the former Florida Gator does as the season goes into the summer. While it still looks like he won’t make the team, fans will continue to talk about him and what he could do for the Mets. For now, all we can do is enjoy the entertaining phenomenon known as TebowMania.
Other notes from the game (because there are other players on the Fireflies):
- Pitcher Merandy Gonzalez won his first game of the season. He went six innings, allowed only three hits and struck out six
- First baseman Anthony Dimino had three hits. He continues to improve his OBP after reaching base four times Saturday night.
The team will attempt to extend its win streak to five with a win over the Hickory Crawdads today at 7:05pm. You can listen to the action on ESPN Columbia 94.9 FM and 1230 AM, ColumbiaFireflies.com and the TuneIn Radio app starting at 6:45 p.m.
Latest posts by Daniel Yanofsky (see all)
- Frankie Edgar out of UFC 218 title fight due to injury, Jose Aldo to face Max Holloway - November 13, 2017
- Daniel Jacobs wins in dominating fashion against Luis Arias at Nassau Coliseum - November 12, 2017
- Long Island’s Cletus “The Hebrew Hammer” Seldin beats Roberto Ortiz via KO - November 12, 2017