Sky Blue FC Opens 2014 NWSL Season with 1-1 Draw Against FC Kansas City
Sky Blue FC picked up its first point of the 2014 National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) season on the road with a draw against FC Kansas City in each team’s season-opener on Saturday.
“It was very important for us to get a good result on the road against one of the better teams in the league coming back from last year,” Sky Blue FC head coach Jim Gabarra said. “To be as good as we were defensively without having Christie Rampone out there was a bright side.”
Amy Rodriguez scored the game’s first goal in the 23rd minute for FC Kansas City on a pass from rookie defender Kassey Kallman. It was her first NWSL goal.
However, Sky Blue FC came out looking very strong in the second half; midfielder Katy Freels scored the equalizer in the 48th minute (just after halftime), taking advantage of a misclear from FC Kansas City’s Jen Buckowski. Freels easily scored from close-range, placing the ball into the back left corner of the net.
Sky Blue FC was able to hold off the Blues for the remainder of the game to earn the tie.
“It was a good team performance,” Gabarra said. “There were some team adjustments that were made, like taking Cutshall out and moving O’Hara to center back, but overall we had a good start and were able to come away with a point.”
Sky Blue FC returns to Yurcak Field in Piscataway, NJ on Saturday, April 19 for the club’s home opener against the defending NWSL Champion Portland Thorns FC (1-0-0, 3 pts). Kickoff is at 7 p.m. ET.
Latest posts by Dave Schatz (see all)
- Sky Blue FC Rings NASDAQ Opening Bell - July 20, 2014
- NJ’s Only One-Mile Road Race Grows in Third Year on College Avenue - June 9, 2014
- Rampone, O’Hara selected to U.S. Women’s National Team Training Camp Roster for Matches Against France - June 3, 2014
- Brunswick Cup Kickoff Race, Memorial Day 5K, Takes Place for 35th Year at North Brunswick Community Park - May 30, 2014
- Sky Blue FC Ties Washington Spirit 3-3 in Road Game - May 22, 2014