Former World Champion Shawn “Showtime” Porter has withdrawn from his upcoming bout with Thomas Durlorme. The top welterweight was scheduled to fight on the preliminary bout for Mayweather vs. McGregor.
The top welterweight has withdrawn due to personal reasons. According to a press release, a death in the family is related.
Welterweight contender Yordenis Ugas (19-3, 9 KOs) has stepped in to replace Porter. The bout will take place on Nov 26 at T-Mobile Arena.
“On behalf of Mayweather Promotions we send our prayers and deepest condolences to the Porter family,” said Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions in a press release. “In boxing we have to deal with curveballs that constantly come at us. Thomas Dulorme has been training hard and is ready to face Yordenis Ugas. Ugas is a tough competitor that shouldn’t be overlooked, and Dulorme is ready. The fight fans are definitely in for an outstanding show between Dulorme and Ugas come Aug. 26.”
“I have been training for this fight for a several weeks now, I knew at the-time Porter was going to be a tough challenger so I took training camp extremely serious,” said Dulorme. “Fighting on a card this big, you cannot doubt anyone in front of you. My new opponent doesn’t change much. All I can do is continue to stay focused and listen to my team and bring the best fight I can.”
“It’s an honor to be fighting on one of the biggest boxing cards in history and fighting in the same ring as one of the most famous boxers in the world – Floyd Mayweather,” Ugas said. “This is the type of fight that I’ve been looking forward to having since I came back last year after being off for almost three years. This will be my fifth fight in a year. And this is the second fight that I’ve taken on short notice this year. But it doesn’t bother me because I’m always training. Dulorme is a tremendous fighter. He’s very aggressive and very technical. He’s going to get my very best as I know I will get the very best from him. It’s really an honor to fight a quality opponent on a card like this.”
The Mayweather vs. McGregor live fight coverage begins on FOX with a one-hour prefight Show at 6 p.m. ET. Prelims on FOX begin at 7 p.m. ET and leads directly into the main event that will begin at 9 p.m. ET.
Latest posts by Kristine Haugsjaa (see all)
- NJ’s Chookagian makes flyweight debut at UFC Charlotte - November 7, 2017
- Fighting Words: Bellator is Giving Hardy the Credit She Deserves - October 20, 2017
- Frankie Edgar to face Champion Max Holloway at UFC 218 - October 3, 2017