Seton Hall Soccer Shuts Out UMass Lowell, 2-0
Led by another stellar performance by sophomore goalkeeper, Julian Spindler, the Seton Hall Pirates stay unbeaten at 1-1-0. The Weiersbach, Germany native made 5 saves, for his third career shutout. He has only been scored on once so far this season.
The match was brutal at times, both the play and the weather, as there were many delays; as the players fought off the heat, humidity and minor injuries. The play on the field was just as brutal, as the teams combined for 28 fouls and 4 yellow cards.
The first half was scoreless and it took the Pirates until the 50th minute to strike pay dirt. A shot by Kai Greene, was stopped by UMass-Lowell goalkeeper Austin Kroll, but the rebound escaped him and was senior Bolu Akinyode found it at his feet. The Lagos, Nigeria native quickly found the back of the net and SHU had a 1-0 lead.
In the 72nd minute, a Penalty Kick was called off of a corner kick, and who else then Victor Manosalvas found himself facing a one-on-one moment with Kroll. The senior midfielder put the ball in the upper left hand corner of the net and SHU had a 2-0 lead.
The rest was up to Spindler and the defense and that was all that was needed. For the first victory of the young season.
Game 3 on the season will be at Delaware on Wednesday, 9/10 at 7:00pm.
Latest posts by Tony Griffo (see all)
- Nash, Lundqvist Help Douse Flames in Calgary - December 18, 2014
- Blueshirts Shutout Oilers 2 to 0 in Edmonton - December 14, 2014
- Zucc Scores Two as Rangers Beat Canucks in Vancouver - December 14, 2014
- Ranger Forward Anthony Duclair to play for Team Canada at World Juniors - December 9, 2014
- The Rangers Help out Toys for Tots - December 9, 2014