Rutgers Springs into the Big Ten
With the Rutgers 2014 Spring Game in the books it’s time to see what was learned from the game and what questions still remain for Rutgers.
What We Know about Rutgers:
- Gary Nova is Rutgers’ quarterback. The senior’s stats were mediocre 6-13, 78 yards but two notable drops on deep balls to Janarion Grant and Carlton Agudosi would have made for a better looking day. Nova didn’t wow the crowd but didn’t make any mistakes either.
- Janarion Grant has a future at wide receiver. The team’s Mark Mills award winner for most improved offensive player during the spring has ability to get separation. The question remains if he can catch the ball consistently. Grant said of his improvement, ““I feel good just catching the ball more, being able to get my hands on the ball and be physical with it”.
- The Peoples Choice: Desmon Peoples has been one of the highlights of the spring and he didn’t disappoint in the spring game leading all players with 109 all-purpose yards.
- The Defensive line looks solid: As has been reported all spring Darius Hamilton is a force on the interior. Veteran David Milewski reflected on the day, ““The game is always the highlight of the whole spring. It was a lot of fun – a lot of fans came out here today, it was a beautiful day outside and being out here with the Special Olympics Team New Jersey, that was awesome. It’s priceless, you can’t get moments like that back and that’s what college football is all about. That’s why I came here and I’m living the dream right now.” The biggest surprise was the emergence of red-shirt frosh Kemoko Turay who finished the day with four tackles and three sacks working against the first-team offense.
What We Need to Know about Rutgers:
- Can the secondary perform? The best corner in the game may have been true frosh Kam Lott who stood out playing against Rutgers’ first team wide receivers. Lott finished the day with two passes defensed as well as five tackles.
- Will the o-line improve? Desmond People ran for 85 yards on 18 carries but outside of that there wasn’t much offensive productivity and the starting o-line gave up four sacks on the day. The Scarlet team’s productivity was woeful managing only three total yards on 24 plays.
Box Score (Final)
WHITE vs SCARLET (Apr 26, 2014 at Piscataway, NJ)
Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
—————– — – — – —–
WHITE…………… 7 7 7 0 – 21
SCARLET…………. 0 0 0 0 - 0
1st 09:15 WHITE – NOVA, Gary 1 yd run (FEDERICO, Kyle kick),
WHITE 7 – SCARLET 0
2nd 08:44 WHITE – PEOPLES, Desmon 5 yd run (FEDERICO, Kyle kick), 19-0 15:31, WHITE 14 – SCARLET 0
3rd 10:55 WHITE – PEOPLES, Desmon 5 yd run (BORGESE, Nick kick), 9-0 2:46, WHITE 21 – SCARLET 0
FIRST DOWNS………………. 19 2
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)………… 24-81 9–8
PASSING YDS (NET)…………. 133 11
Passes Att-Comp-Int……….. 27-11-0 15-4-1
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS….. 51-214 24-3
Fumble Returns-Yards………. 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards………… 0-0 0-0
Kickoff Returns-Yards……… 0-0 0-0
Interception Returns-Yards…. 1-8 0-0
Punts (Number-Avg)………… 3-38.7 5-44.2
Fumbles-Lost……………… 0-0 0-0
Penalties-Yards…………… 3-15 5-64
Possession Time…………… 22:08 37:52
Third-Down Conversions…….. 4 of 9 0 of 6
Fourth-Down Conversions……. 2 of 2 0 of 1
Red-Zone Scores-Chances……. 0-0 2-3
Sacks By: Number-Yards…….. 2-14 4-19
RUSHING: WHITE-PEOPLES, Desmon 18-85; BURTON, Michael 1-14; NOVA, Gary
3-minus 8; BIMONTE, Mike 2-minus 10. SCARLET-CARTER, Devan 5-4; LAVIANO, Chris
3-minus 4; RAY, Devin 1-minus 8.
PASSING: WHITE-NOVA, Gary 6-13-0-78; BIMONTE, Mike 5-11-0-55; LAVIANO,
Chris 0-3-0-0. SCARLET-RAY, Devin 3-6-0-22; LAVIANO, Chris 0-6-1-0; NELSON,
Philip 1-3-0-minus 11.
RECEIVING: WHITE-GRANT, Janarion 3-45; BURTON, Michael 3-34; PEOPLES,
Desmon 2-24; PATTON, Andre 2-20; ARCIDIACONO, Ni 1-10. SCARLET-MATTHEWS, Vance
1-12; TSIMIS, John 1-10; RAY, Devin 1-0; APPLEFIELD, Mar 1-minus 11.
INTERCEPTIONS: WHITE-NASH, Myles 1-8. SCARLET-None.
FUMBLES: WHITE-None. SCARLET-None.
Follow Sal Soothsayer for more Rutgers Football chatter…@SalSoothsayer.
Latest posts by Sal Soothsayer (see all)
- Ranking the Big Ten Positional Groups: The Coaches - July 13, 2014
- Ranking the Big Ten Positional Groups: Defensive Backs - July 12, 2014
- Ranking the Big Ten Positional Groups: Linebackers - July 11, 2014
- Ranking the Big Ten Positional Groups: Defensive Line - July 10, 2014