Rutgers Quarterback Gary Nova Ready for 2014 Season
Going into this season, Rutgers’ quarterback Gary Nova has been criticized for his inconsistency and poor decision making. Last season, Nova started the first ten games before being benched for the final three games of the season.
A humbling experience to say the least. This season, Nova and the Rutgers offense faces numerous changes including the Big Ten move.
Nova, a senior is on his fourth offensive coordinator this season. With Ralph Friedgen guiding Nova, his training and mechanics have changed greatly.
The first thing coach Friedgen noticed when watching tapes of Nova was that he was throwing on his toes rather than keeping his weight back. Similar to a baseball or softball pitcher, a quarterback must use his lower body not only because that is where the majority of power comes from, but it prevents soreness. When Nova was throwing on his toe, he was using all shoulder, which resulted in him getting sore and having his arm out which makes a quarterback an easy target for the defense.
“The ball is coming out a lot better,” said Nova. “My accuracy has gone up,” he continued.
Aside from this minor mechanical correction, Nova also made a change with his diet this season. For the most part, Nova’s training program has not changed. This season, the “clean eating” trend arrived in Piscataway.
Unlike the stereotypical college athlete who trains hard and eats everything in site, Nova has cut back on “bad foods,” including; fried food, fast food, and carbs.
“I am in the best shape of my life right now,” Nova said.
Latest posts by Diane Quail (see all)
- Rutgers vs Penn State- Keys to Success for the Scarlet Knights - September 13, 2014
- Rutgers Hosts Penn State for First Time in Nearly Sixty Years this Saturday - September 11, 2014
- Rutgers: What to Expect During Saturday’s Sold Out Game Against Penn State - September 9, 2014
- Rutgers Scarlet Knights: New Season, New Team - August 30, 2014
- Rutgers Football Set to Begin First Season in Big Ten. One Final Season Preview. - August 28, 2014