Rutgers Baseball Heads to Florida for a Three Game Series Against UCF
The Rutgers Scarlet Knights baseball team travels down south to open a three-game series at first-place and 22nd ranked, UCF. The Scarlet Knights are currently third in the AAC conference.
The first game will be held Friday April 25th at 6:30 P.M. with sophomore Howie Brey on the mound. Brey is 4-1 on the season. In his last outing against Cincinnati, Brey went a career-long 7.1 innings, keeping the Scarlet Knights in the game long enough for senior Lou Clemente to hit a three-run homer in the sixth to give the Scarlet Knights the lead.
The sophomore gave up 10 hits, allowed four runs, struck out three, and did not walk a batter in the victory.
Rutgers uses the same pitching rotation they used in their three-game-sweep against Cincinnati last week with true freshman Gaby Rosa taking game two and redshirt freshman taking game three.
Offensively, Rutgers will be lead by senior Pat Sweeny, who went 4-for-7 during the week, and now leads the team with a .356 batting average. Sweeny’s average is currently third in the conference. Fellow senior, Brain O’Grady, sits right behind Sweeny in 4th with a .350 batting average.
Freshman Mike Carter will also look to extend his nine-game hitting streak to 10 for the second time this year on Saturday.
Rutgers is at .500 this season (19-19) and one game above .500 in conference play, ( 6-5). The Scarlet Knights have won seven of their last nine games and four of their last six conference games.
This series is the first away series for the Rutgers baseball team in four weeks.
Latest posts by Diane Quail (see all)
- Leonte Carroo Named DoubleGSports.com College Male Athlete of the Year - January 27, 2015
- MiLB’s New Pitch Clock Rule Could Set Back Pitching Prospects - January 18, 2015
- Biggest win in team history comes in front of home crowd for the Scarlet Knights Men’s Basketball Team - January 12, 2015
- Dominant Bowl Victory Gives Rutgers Fans Confidence Moving Forward - December 29, 2014
- Four Scarlet Knights Earn All-Big Ten Football Recognition - December 3, 2014