Red Bulls Forward Thierry Henry Voted MLS Player of the Week
On Monday, New York Red Bulls striker Thierry Henry was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters for Week 18 of the 2014 MLS Season.
Thierry Henry had a remarkable night last week during the club’s 4-1 victory over the Columbus Crew. The French international had a part in each of the Red Bulls’ four goals, becoming the club’s all-time assist leader during the final goal of the evening.
Henry got his night started early on by assisting Bradley-Wright Phillips’ 17th minute goal to put the squad up 1-0. Right before the half the Frenchman broke what became a 1-1 lock with a beautifully placed shot into the upper-ninety of the net from the top of the box. Henry’s record tying assist came in the 55th minute with a class cross to a streaking Lloyd Sam, who completed the play with a clean finish into the low corner of the net.
The record-breaking moment came late in the game, during the fourth minute of extra time. Eric Alexander capped off the decisive victory by beating the keeper with a well-placed strike after receiving a perfect one-touch flick from Henry without needing to break stride.
The Red Bulls have a busy week coming up, beginning with a trip to PPL Park to face the Philadelphia Union (Wednesday July 16th at 7pm). The squad hopes to continue its five game MLS unbeaten streak before the league momentarily pauses for the All-Star break.
Latest posts by Daniel Steele (see all)
- NYC FC Joins Orlando City SC in the MLS Expansion Priority Draft - September 25, 2014
- Bradley Wright-Phillips Earns His Second MLS Player of The Week Honor - September 24, 2014
- Red Bulls Fall to the Montreal Impact 1-0 in CONCACAF Champions League - September 19, 2014
- State of the Cosmos: New York Heating Up As Playoffs Near - September 19, 2014
- Red Bulls Earn Champions League Victory, Defeat CD FAS 2-0 - August 27, 2014