Minor League Hockey Offers Alternatives To Tri-State Area Fans
National Hockey League training camps are a few weeks away, and the New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, and Philadelphia Flyers will be getting ready to begin their seasons. There are many options for hockey fans to get their fill of hockey within the Tri-State Area, with plenty of minor league hockey teams to keep fans satisfied.
The Devils, Rangers, Islanders, and Flyers – as well as the other teams in the NHL – will always have their fan bases. But there may be some hockey fans that find it tough to afford tickets to games. For an affordable opportunity within the Tri-State Area, there are some minor league organizations worth checking out. These teams may be farther away for some, but for some fans they may not mind that to get their fill of hockey at a more affordable price.
The Devils top minor league team, the Albany Devils of the American Hockey League, play their home games at the Times Union Center in Albany, NY. In Allentown, PA, the Flyers top farm club, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, will begin playing at the PPL Center. The Phantoms return to southeastern Pennsylvania after spending the last few years in the Adirondacks in Glens Falls, NY. The Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the top affiliate of the Islanders, play their home games at the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, CT.
The Rangers AHL club, the Hartford Wolfpack, play at the XL Center in downtown Hartford, CT. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, the top minor league affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins, play their home games at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza in Wilkes-Barre, PA.
In the ECHL, the Reading Royals, a minor league affiliate of the Flyers and Phantoms, play their home games at the Santander Arena in Reading, PA. Depending on the teams in both the AHL and the ECHL, ticket prices can usually run between 20 to 30 dollars depending on seat location and the team.
The Danbury Whalers, of the Federal Hockey League, play their home games in the Danbury Ice Arena in Danbury, CT. The Whalers are looking to defend their FHL title in the 2014-2015 season.
The Eastern Hockey League, a junior league, has teams within the Tri-State Area as well. Many NHL players have gotten their start in the EHL. John Carlson, of the Washington Capitals, played with the New Jersey Rockets. Chris Kreider of the Rangers played for the Valley Jr. Warriors. Rob Scuderi of the Penguins played for the New York Applecore.
The Delaware Valley Collegiate Hockey Conference has both a men’s and a women’s division of hockey within the area as well. The men’s division have teams that include Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, Penn State-Brandywine, Shippensburg University, East Stroudsburg University, Rutgers-Camden, Rowen University, Widener University, University of Delaware and a few others around Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
The women’s division of the DVCHC have teams at Columbia University, St Joseph’s University, Villanova, Rutgers University, University of Pennsylvania, along with the North Jersey Phoenix and many other schools within New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia.
The Phoenix is a team comprised of college women that do not have the opportunity to play for their school. The home rink for the Phoenix, is the AmeriHealth Pavillion in Newark, NJ. The AmeriHealth Pavillion happens to be the practice facility of the Devils.
Hockey fans in the area are looking to get their fill of the sport at different levels of the game they can find out more information from the team or league’s websites. Most of them have their schedules and ticket information on the sites. The following is a collection of links to those sites.
- New Jersey Devils: www.newjerseydevils.com
- New York Rangers: www.newyorkrangers.com
- New York Islanders: www.newyorkislanders.com
- Philadelphia Flyers: www.philadelphiaflyers.com
- Albany Devils: www.thealbanydevils.com
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms: www.phantomsarena.com
- Bridgeport Soundtigers: www.bridgeportsoundtigers.com
- Hartford Wolfpack: www.hartfordwolfpack.com
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins: www.wbspenguins.com
- Reading Royals: www.royalshockey.com
- Danbury Whalers: http://www.danburywhalers.pointstreaksites.com/view/danburywhalers
- Eastern Hockey League: www.easternhockeyleague.pointstreaksites.com/
- Delaware Valley Collegiate Hockey Conference: www.dvchchockey.org
- North Jersey Phoenix: www.njphoenixhockey.com
- National Hockey League: www.nhl.com
- American Hockey League: www.theahl.com
- ECHL: www.echl.com
- Federal Hockey League: http://thefederalhockeyleague.pointstreaksites.com
Latest posts by Chip Gianni Jr. (see all)
- Update on Former Devils Star, Martin Brodeur, In St. Louis - December 9, 2014
- Jaromir Jagr Plays In 1500th Game - December 9, 2014
- Chris Falzone, Teen Battling Cancer, Signs One-Day Contract With New York Rangers - December 9, 2014
- Mike Nichols Honored By Danbury Whalers; Signs Honorary Contract - December 9, 2014
- Martin Brodeur To Make First Appearance Of 2014-15 Season Thursday Night - December 4, 2014