Hagerstown Blanks BlueClaws in Home Opener
The Lakewood BlueClaws are still in a rough patch and failed to get out of it Thursday in the team’s home opener against the Hagerstown Suns.
In front of over 7,000 fans at FirstEnergy Park, Suns RHP Lucas Giolito pitched a five-inning, one-hit shutout as the Suns won 5-0.
Giolito struck out six batters and only walked one to pick up his first win of the season.
Lakewood as a team only collected three hits. Center fielder Carlos Tocci went 1-for-4 while Samiel Hiciano and Gabriel Lino also collected one hit.
The BlueClaws only had four base runners the entire night.
Lakewood starter Tyler Viza was beat up for five runs—four earned—on five hits as he struck out five batters and walked one.
Hagerstown (6-2) third baseman Khayyan Norfork went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI in the game. Teammate Isaac Ballou was 2-for-5 with an RBI, a triple and a run scored. Ballou has six RBI on the season now.
The BlueClaws (2-5) will get a chance to snap its four-game losing streak Friday in the second game of the series against Hagerstown. Alejandro Arteaga (1-0, 3.60 ERA) will go up against Hector Silvestre (0-0, 3.60 ERA).
Latest posts by Ryan Gaydos (see all)
- Astudillo Continuing Hot Hitting In Lexington - April 30, 2014
- BlueClaws Drop Slugfest vs. Hagerstown 10-8 - April 19, 2014
- Viza Keeps Greensboro Grounded In BlueClaws 3-2 Win - April 17, 2014
- BlueClaws Snap Losing Streak With 7-5 Win - April 15, 2014
- Lakewood Falls to Hagerstown For Sixth Straight Loss - April 13, 2014