Finally, the waiting is over. The full list of participants for the Mae Young Classic has officially been announced. WWE has been teasing fans for several weeks with a few names already set for the 32-women tournament. In a “Parade of Champions” special on YouTube, the company went all out to present the future of women’s wrestling. Some names were known, while others are getting their first time in the major spotlight.
We got our first look at the ladies that will enter the ring, along with the announce team of Lita and Jim Ross. Here is the presentation in all of it’s glory:
Here is a small description of each wrestler competing:
- Dakota Kai – Formerly known as Evie and a mainstay in women’s wrestling
- Serena Deeb – Recently came out of retirement, was in Straight Edge Society
- Vanessa Borne – Former dancer/cheerleader for major league teams.
- Xia Li – WWE Performance Center standout and one of the first Chinese athletes to be recruited
- Rachel Evers – The daughter of Paul Ellering
- Sage Beckett– The former Rosie Lottalove in TNA
- Kay Lee Ray– Hardcore wrestler known from ICW and WCPW
- Tessa Blanchard – Daughter of Tully Blanchard and one of the favorites in the tournament
- Toni Storm – The first ever Progress Women’s Champion
- Marti Belle – A former TNA Knockout with The Dollhouse
- Lacey Evans – A member of the NXT roster and a former U.S. Marine
- Santana Garrett – One of the most talented women wrestlers in the world, thanks to her high flying capability
- Nicole Savoy – A Shimmer standout and “The Queen of the Suplexes”
- Ayesha Raymond – Former bodybuilder and Performance Center standout
- Reina Gonzalez – Performance Center Standout and daughter of Ricky “Desperado” González
- Shayna Baszler – One of the favorites in the tournament, Shayna is one of the members of the MMA Four Horsewomen along with Ronda Rousey.
- Piper Niven – A powerhouse with ties to WCPW
- Zeda – Performance Center standout, with a background in MMA
- Rhea Ripley – At only 20-years old, Rhea has skills other wrestlers only dream of having
- Kavita Devi – The first Indian woman to ever grace a WWE ring
- Sarah Logan – The former Crazy Mary Dobson, who has competed all over, from Japan all the way to New York
- Bianca Belair – Another NXT star, Bianca has a lot of talent to go with the long hair she has
- Abbey Laith – Known to many as Kimber Lee
- Candice LeRae – Wife to Johnny Gargano, and known for her willingness to wrestle men
- Mia Yim – Jade in TNA, and a multiple-time women’s champion wherever she has been
- Miranda Salinas – Known for training with the likes of Booker T at his wrestling school
- Renee Michelle – Former MCW Women’s Champion
- Princesa Sugehit – The current Mexican Nation Women’s Champion, who has worked for CMLL and AAA for more than 20 years
- Mercedes Martinez – The current Shimmer Women’s Champion along with being a Shine Tag Team Champion
- Jazzy Gabert – The former Alpha Female, who has become a quick fan favorite
- Taynara Conti – Performance Center standout who is a mix of Renee Young and Natalya
- Kairi Sane – One of the best women’s wrestlers on the planet with a phenomenal elbow drop.
Tapings have been held for the tournament. This may be better than the Cruiserweight Classic. No spoilers here, but it is highly recommended you watch the Mae Young Classic when it debuts on the WWE Network on August 20th, right after SummerSlam.
Latest posts by Daniel Yanofsky (see all)
- James Vick v. Joseph Duffy added to UFC 217 in NYC - September 25, 2017
- Cody Rhodes has an official home in Ring of Honor - September 25, 2017
- ‘The Main Event’ Live Stream – Heather Hardy Interview and WWE No Mercy Preview - September 24, 2017