CSI Takes Top Spot In CUNYAC Women’s Soccer Preseason Poll
Despite being upset by Brooklyn in last year’s City University of New York Athletic Conference (CUNYAC) Championship match, the women’s soccer team from the College of Staten Island (CSI) has grabbed the top spot in the 2014 CUNYAC Preseason Poll. Brooklyn took the poll’s second spot. Though CSI hasn’t won the big one, they have appeared in four consecutive CUNYAC championship matches and have not lost a regular season conference match since 2010. Overall, they have gone 6-0 in CUNYAC play in each of the last three seasons. CSI head coach John Guagliardo is well aware of his team’s failures in championship games. In an article on the CUNYAC website, he was quoted as saying, “It’s an honor to have the coaches select our team at the top of the preseason poll, but we have to live up to what is expected of us at the end. We have a lot of business at hand and while this is very humbling and means a lot, what matters most is how we finish.” Leading the way for CSI this season will be senior Samantha Wysokowski, who was named the 2014 Preseason Player of The Year. Wysokowski was a 2013 CUNYAC First Team All Star. She also was second on her team in both goals (22) and assists (8). The remainder of the poll rounds out this way: City College of New York (CCNY), John Jay, Lehman, York and Medgar Evers. Play gets underway this Labor Day Weekend, with the first conference games scheduled for mid-September.
Latest posts by Bernadette Pasley (see all)
- Monroe College Dominates Baruch Invitational - September 7, 2014
- Baruch Voted Number One In CUNYAC Volleyball Preseason Poll - August 30, 2014
- CSI Takes Top Spot In CUNYAC Women’s Soccer Preseason Poll - August 30, 2014
- Baruch College Names Machli Joseph Deputy Athletic Director - August 26, 2014
- Trio Of CUNY Women Honored By Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association - April 14, 2014