Bump N’ Run returns after a break and some R&R. The last time we spoke, it was to review many of the moves that were made by the Giants and Jets in free agency. This week, we look at the draft and the newest additions to the local teams. Let’s begin with a so-so draft for the New York Football Giants.
Reese Will Never Draft Night Exciting
You have to give it to Jerry Reese, at least he is consistent. The Giants, who were targeting O.J. Howard and Garett Bolles in the first round, stayed at No. 23 and selected Evan Engram. While the pick is not a terrible one as Eli Manning could always use weapons and Engram could become a stud tight end, Reese’s sheer inability to trade up and get who he wants is getting a old. You have a team that is trying to win now so losing a late-round pick or two in order to get the first or second player on your big board is not a bad thing.
The rest of the Giants’ draft was odd. They picked a defensive tackle with bad knees (Dalvin Tomlinson), another running back to add to the troupe they have now (Wayne Gallman) and an offensive tackle that has been hurt on and off for four years (Adam Bisnowaty). The logic of many of these picks are still unknown, although Big Blue did draft a quarterback that could be the heir apparent to Eli Manning down the line (Davis Webb). Overall the Giants gets a B- for their 2017 NFL Draft.
Jets Focus On Rebuilding
The Jets had nine picks in this year’s draft and they used those picks to build depth for a team that is being predicted to be downright awful this season. Jamal Adams in the first round was a pick that they needed to make. Adams is a great safety who will be successful in the NFL and has high character, something this team needs desperately. Another safety (Marcus Maye) was drafted in the second round which has many wondering if Calvin Pryor is now on the trade block. In all, five selections were used on defense and not a moment too soon after giving up 25 points per game last season.
A slow and steady climb back to relevance is needed for the New York Jets. They went all in two years ago spending money on Darrelle Revis and others and they crapped put. They received a marker from the casino and now have to play it safe if they hope to become a team that other teams do not want play once again.
Moving The Chains
- What the hell are the Bears doing? Mitchell Trubisky?
- Patrick Mahomes was a guy I wanted the Giants to pick up in the second or third round. He went No. 10 overall to Kansas City. Huge reach.
- The best moment of the draft was Takkarist McKinley being drafted No. 26 to the Falcons. He had a picture of his grandmother with him and the emotion he showed is why the draft is a great night.
Latest posts by Kahlil Thomas (see all)
- Seton Hall Drops Second Straight Big East Game Against Xavier - January 20, 2018
- Seton Hall Opens Big East Schedule With Win Over Creighton - December 28, 2017
- Seton Hall Finishes Non-Conference Tilt With Win Over Manhattan - December 23, 2017