A new football season is upon us, and that means the return of the Bump N’ Run column. The off-season of relaxation is over so let’s hit the ground running with the local NFL teams.
Jets Open Against Buffalo On The Road
I may not have much to say about the New York Jets this season. They gutted the team of its veterans, and it seems as if they are attempting to tank the season. After watching the preseason, it is apparent that they are. Trading Sheldon Richardson was a great move as he has been nothing but a distraction for the last three years. Besides that move, they are pretty much angling for franchise QB in the 2018 NFL Draft.
I will say this now; Todd Bowles should not lose his job based on this season. Jets management have put him in a situation where he has a young team that cannot win as constructed right now. This season will be a rough one for Jet fans, who will watch the law firm of McCown, Hackenberg, and Petty stink up the joint until early January. Hey but look at the bright side…it is ok, I will wait.
Giants Projected To Have Big Season
Pundits around the league believe that the New York Football Giants will have a great season. I choose to not listen to those kinds of predictions because it never works out that way when the Giants are predicted to do well. The signing of Brandon Marshall and the drafting of Evan Engram gives the offense a different look and Eli Manning more weapons to work with. However, the offensive line still features perennial waste of space Ereck Flowers and other question marks on the line as well.
The defense returns everyone except Johnathan Hankins, who signed with the Colts. Janoris Jenkins will continue to anchor the secondary and Eli Apple showed flashes of improvement during the preseason. Linebacker is still an issue as the Giants still does not have that All-Pro linebacker. With that said, the Giants winning the NFC East is not out of the realm of possibility as long as injuries do not rear its ugly head. Fingers crossed for Odell Beckham Jr.
Moving The Chains
- It is funny how the NFL Players’ Association continues to stand up for Ezekiel Elliott but Colin Kaepernick remains unemployed? They pick and choose their battles with the players, and it needs to stop. Elliott, Greg Hardy and every “reported” bad guy get represented but hey, don’t stand up for social issues. It is embarrassing.
- Also, we are a little under four years away from the end of the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. NFLPA president DeMaurice Smith and the players are already talking about a work stoppage in 2021. Really? Negotiate behind closed doors but understand that you are not going to make NBA-like money so forget that idea.
- College Football has begun, and like always everyone is talking about Alabama, Ohio State, and Michigan. Penn State seems to be under the radar once again. They have the offensive weapons, like running back Saquon Barkley, to make more noise in the Big Ten once again.
- Shoutout to Monmouth University who christened the new Kessler Field (now Kessler Stadium) with a 31-12 victory over Lafayette in West Long Branch, NJ. As alumni of the school, it makes me proud to see the program building something big down the Jersey Shore. Still trying to figure out the Big South Conference relationship in football, but I am proud to call myself a Hawk after Saturday’s game.
Latest posts by Kahlil Thomas (see all)
- Bump N’ Run w/ KT: Giants Are Winless, Kaepernick Still Unemployed - September 19, 2017
- Last-Second Field Goal Pushes Columbia Past Wagner - September 16, 2017
- Bump N’ Run w/ KT: Giants Bomb, Rutgers Loses Again - September 12, 2017