A Last Minute NFL Mock Draft, Who Takes Who?
Just when you had enough mock drafts…we bring you yet another. Earlier this week Sal Soothsayer released his Big Board of NFL Prospects, but where will they be taken? Let’s take a look at what we think would happen if there are no trades, but we all know to expect the unexpected when it comes to the NFL Draft.
This does not include trades but trade possibilities are included in the “analysis” and “could also take” portions….
1. Houston Texans – Jadeveon Clowney, DE – South Carolina
Sal’s Analysis: Have to take the best player
Could also take: Only option here would be a trade down and pick up Mack or a QB
2. St. Louis Rams – Greg Robinson, OT – Auburn
Sal’s Analysis: Rams need OL help and Robinson grades out as the best
Could also take: A trade down could still net them Texas A&M OT Jake Matthews. Don’t be surprised if this happens.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars – Khalil Mack, OLB – Buffalo
Sal’s Analysis: They need help and Mack is a tremendous rush LB
Could also take: Robinson, Matthews
4. Cleveland Brown – Jake Matthews, OT – Texas A&M
Sal’s Analysis: This is the wise choice, lets see if the Browns make it
Could also take: Pairing Sammy Watkins with Josh Gordon would make for a dynamic set of WRs. They should hold off on a QB until later this round or round 2.
5. Oakland Raiders – Sammy Watkins, WR – Clemson
Sal’s Analysis: The Raiders need to be able to score. Watkins helps immediately
Could also take: Any of the first four
6. Atlanta Falcons – Taylor Lewan, OT – Michigan
Sal’s Analysis: The Falcons would love for a team above to take a QB and have one of the top two OT fall to them. Lewan might have more upside but much more risk.
Could also take: Any of the top two OT
7. Tampa Bay Bucs – Mike Evans, WR – Texas A&M
Sal’s Analysis: If they draft Manziel or a QB expect Glennon to be traded for a 2nd round pick.
Could also take: Any QB
8. Minnesota Vikings – Johnny Manziel – QB, Texas A&M
Sal’s Analysis: Adrian Peterson is begging for offensive help. The Vikings deliver
Could also take: Pitt DT Aaron Donald or any of the top three cornerbacks
9. Buffalo Bills – Zach Martin, OT/OG – Notre Dame
Sal’s Analysis: They need help on offense. Martin is safe but might be a bit of a reach at number nine.
Could also take: TE Eric Ebron would provide offensive help as well.
10. Detroit Lions – Justin Gilbert, CB – Oklahoma State
Sal’s Analysis: They need to stop people from scoring. Gilbert isn’t my top CB but the top three (Dennard, Fuller) are very close.
Could also take: Mike Evans – and they will try to trade up to do so
11. Tennessee Titans – Anthony Barr, OLB – UCLA
Sal’s Analysis: I think Barr will be available and if he falls in their lap they need to take someone who can get to the passer
Could also take: DEs Demarcus Lawrence (Boise State), Stephon Tuitt (Notre Dame) or Ohio State OLB Ryan Shazier
12. New York Giants – Eric Ebron, TE – North Carolina
Sal’s Analysis: They need help at this spot and WR and Ebron is on a different tier. If one of the top four OL are available they might jump on one.
Could also take: Martin (ND), WR Odell Beckham Jr
13. St. Louis Rams – Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix, S – Alabama
Sal’s Analysis: A surefire starting safety in the NFL balances the offensive help they took in spot two.
Could also take: Calvin Pryor (S-Louisville), Any of the top three CBs
14. Chicago Bears – C.J. Mosley, ILB – Alabama
Sal’s Analysis: Mosley provides an interior run-stopping presence the Bears need.
Could also take: Clinton-Dix, Pryor
15. Pittsburgh Steelers – Darqueze Dennard, CB – Michigan State
Sal’s Analysis: The best CB in the draft would help any team.
Could also take: Gilbert, Fuller, Beckham Jr
16. Dallas Cowboys – Timmy Jernigan, DT – Florida State
Sal’s Analysis: They cant go wrong picking help on the DL or secondary. Jernigan is a safe DL pick
Could also take: Ra’Shede Hageman (DT-Minnesota), Clinton-Dix, Dennard, Pryor
17. Baltimore Ravens – Calvin Pryor, S – Louisville
Sal’s Analysis: Secondary would be a good direction for the Ravens. I like Northern Illinois Jimmie Ward more but Pryor is solid.
Could also take: Ward, Fuller, Bradley Roby (CB-Ohio State)
18. New York Jets – Odell Beckham Jr, WR – LSU
Sal’s Analysis: They should go offense here and would have some choices. I’d trade down and still take a WR. Of course that means you should expect the Jets to trade up.
Could also take: Marqise Lee (WR-USC), Brandin Cooks (WR-Oregon St), Trade down.
19. Miami Dolphis – JaWuan James, OT – Tennessee
Sal’s Analysis: I’d like this pick. James has big upside and is my clear next best OT prospect.
Could also take: Cyrus Kouandjio (OT-Alabama), Morgan Moses (OT-Virginia), Mosley
20. Arizona Cardinals – Blake Bortles, QB – Central Florida
Sal’s Analysis: With their pick of QBs, I’d be very surprised if they didn’t take one
Could also take: Terry Bridgewater (QB-Louisville), Derek Carr (QB-Fresno St), Anyone else would be because they are trading down
21. Green Bay – Ryan Shazier, OLB – Ohio State
Sal’s Analysis: Shazier would give the Packers some needed help on the defensive side of the ball.
Could also take: Fuller, Roby
22. Philadelphia Eagles – Brandin Cooks, WR – Oregon State
Sal’s Analysis: This pick was made for this offense
Could also take: Lee, Fuller, Roby
23. Kansas City Cheifs – Marqise Lee, WR – USC
Sal’s Analysis: Lee is a tremendous athlete with a lot of upside
Could also take: James, Xavier Su’a-Filo (G-UCLA), Terry Bridgewater (QB-Louisville)
24. Cincinnati Bengals – Kyle Fuller, CB – Virginia Tech
Sal’s Analysis: Fuller, Roby or Jason Verrett of TCU would all be good picks here
Could also take: Trade down and take a CB later
25. San Diego Chargers – Bradley Roby, CB – Ohio State
Sal’s Analysis: See pick 24!
Could also take: If not a QB – Hageman, Jernigan, Louis Nix (DT-Notre Dame)
26. Cleveland Browns – Terry Bridgewater, QB – Louisville
Sal’s Analysis: Let’s see if they don’t mess up with pick number four to start.
Could also take: Bortles, Carr
27. New Orleans Saints – Jason Verrett, CB – TCU
Sal’s Analysis: A fast riser in the draft he would step in and help from day 1.
Could also take: Any of the previously mentioned CBs, Lee, Davante Adams (WR-Fresno St), Kelvin Benjamin (WR-FSU)
28. Carolina Panthers – Cyrus Kouandjio, OT – Alabama
Sal’s Analysis: They should go OL here. Kouandjio isn’t at the top of my list though.
Could also take: Any named DB, James, Joel Bitonio (OT-Nevada), Su’a-Filo
29. New England Patriots – Ra’shede Hageman, DT – Minnesota
Sal’s Analysis: Don’t’ the Patriots always have the steal of the draft? Here he is.
Could also take: Pryor, Mosley, Lawrence
30. San Francisco 49ers – Demarcus Lawrence, DE – Boise St
Sal’s Analysis: They could use pressure of the edge. Lawrence has great value this late.
Could also take: Ward, Adams, Benjamin
31. Denver Broncos – Lamarcus Joyner S – FSU
Sal’s Analysis: Good pick for the Broncos who need secondary help and Joyner has the ability to play all spots.
Could also take: Ward, Pryor, Hageman, Lawrence
32. Seattle Seahawks – Xavier Su’a-Filo, G – UCLA
Sal’s Analysis: The most polished interior lineman in the draft would play immediately.
Could also take: Bitonio, Jace Amaro (TE – Texas Tech)
Latest posts by Sal Soothsayer (see all)
- Ranking the Big Ten Positional Groups: The Coaches - July 13, 2014
- Ranking the Big Ten Positional Groups: Defensive Backs - July 12, 2014
- Ranking the Big Ten Positional Groups: Linebackers - July 11, 2014
- Ranking the Big Ten Positional Groups: Defensive Line - July 10, 2014
- The Pancake System – Ranking the Big Ten Positional Groups: Offensive Line - July 9, 2014