The 2014 Haskell Invitational: Will Untapable be the 4th Filly to Win The Haskell?
2014 has been Untapable’s year. The 3-year-old filly is looking for her 5th straight grade steaks victory. Untapable arrived to Monmouth Thursday morning from her Saratoga stable.
Untapable has had a perfect five-year-old season beating her opponents by 31 combined lengths. Today will be the filly’s first time racing against the boys, but based on previous fillies in the Haskell, the odds are in her favor.
There have been three other fillies that raced in the Haskell; all three have won. The most recent filly champion was 2009 horse of the year, Rachel Alexandra. Rachel Alexandra not only beat the boys in the Haskell, but also defeated Belmont winner, Summer Bird by 13 lengths.
Being a filly is not the only thing that Rachel Alexandra and Untapable have in common; Steve Asmussen trained both.
Asmussen sent Rachel Alexandra against the boys in the Preakness and the Haskell in 2009, and looks to have the same Haskell success this year with Untapable.
Untapable drew the 7-hole for today’s race, which is scheduled, to post at 5:45 PM. Jockey Rosie Napravnik will ride the filly.
Untapable is the 2-1 favorite for today’s race.
Here are the rest of the horses racing today’s places and odds:
- Encryption driven by Paco Lopez. (20-1)
- Bayern driven by Martin Garcia. (5-2)
- Albano driven by Kerwin Clark. (6-1)
- Irish You Well driven by Jose Lezcano. (12-1)
- Just Call Kenny driven by Joe Bravo. (10-1)
- Social Inclusion driven by Edgar Prado. (8-1)
- Untapable driven by Rosie Napravnik. (2-1)
- Wildcat Red driven by Luis Saez. (10-1)
- Medal Count driven by Robby Albarado. (8-1)
Latest posts by Diane Quail (see all)
- Rutgers Looks to Get Back on Winning Track After Bye Week - November 15, 2014
- Royals and Giants Set for 2014 World Series - October 21, 2014
- Three Scarlet Knights Ranked in Intermat Preaseason Rankings - October 21, 2014
- Rutgers Must Move On From Ohio State Beating, Focus On Nebraska Rushing Attack - October 21, 2014
- 2015 Schedule Finalized for Rutgers Baseball - October 21, 2014