Week 2 NFL Recap: What do we think? What do we know?
Added by Rory McQueen on September 17, 2013.
Photo by Tony Gonzales, Raiders.com
Twenty two games in the first two weeks of the NFL season have been decided by a touchdown or less. This past week three games were decided on the last possession. So what we have we learned around the NFL after two weeks?
- The Jags are the worst team in football. Some teams can’t play offense, others have leaky defenses, the Jags are so bad, if they played Alabama next week Saban and his boys would be favored by a point.
- The Browns are the second worst team, but unlike the Jags they can play defense. The problem of course is Al Gore and his offense. Maybe he spent too many years fighting global warming, maybe it was the years he spent inventing the internet, but somewhere between his time running the Cowboys offense and helping Bill Clinton get the economy chugging, Al lost his way.
- As bad as the Browns were, the Ravens are in much worse trouble. They went from Super Bowl champs to barely beating the Browns. Plus Joe Flacco missed the birth of his son to lead his team to 14 miserable points against the Browns. When his kid grows up and is filled with repressed rage at his dad, he should point to this game. It’s okay to miss a birth, but only if you can put up some great numbers.
- The two best teams in the NFL are out west.
- Denver can score at will, and the frightening thing is that Peyton is only going to get better as the season progresses and he becomes more familiar with guys like Wes Walker. (Somewhere Tom Brady is crying and cursing his wife at the loss of Wes)
- Seattle and if you know me this hurts to say, but Seattle under the leadership of Generalissimo Pete Carroll is actually freaking good. They play like a team with a chip on their shoulder and somehow are motivated by the Doctor Phil of coaches. That being said they open up as 19.5 point favorites versus the Jags. 20 points, if the Jags score one TD it’s 27 and yet sadly I probably will pick Generalissimo Pete.
- First Coach fired……………..RON RIVERA…….He took a race house of a qb in Cam and turned him into a petting zoo pony. Cam watches footage of what Bruce Arias is doing in Arizona with Carson Palmer and gets jealous. A few more weeks of Ron and Cam will be wishing Al Gore was his coach.
- The Steelers are sinking, but every gambler in the world who took Cinci last night loves their play calling. Down ten they pass up the logical field goal, onside kick, hail mary win, which probably wouldn’t have led them to victory, but would have been the back door cover of the year to those who had the steelers getting 7.5. No the Steelers tried for the td first and allowed all us gamblers who had cinci to laugh and win.
- The Vikings need a qb more than a starving man needs food. They can run with Peterson, play defense with Jared Allen, but Christian Ponder obviously used up all his karma points to win over his hot new wife.
- Detroit will always find a way to be Detroit. They got the talent, the superstar players, but have the discipline that closely resembles Bill Murray and his squad in STRIPES. Whether its penalties, turnovers or just stupidity, the Lions always find a way to lose.
- The Redskins can’t play defense and are getting mutilated during the first half of every game. Some people are blaming RG 3, I am blaming their racist team nickname and a defense that couldn’t stop a high school team.
In the end, Week 2 taught us how close every team is, unless you are the Jags or Browns.