The New York Yankees are looking to extend second baseman Robinson Cano’s contract before he becomes eligible for free agency, according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com. Brian Cashman, Yankees general manager, confirmed that the Yankees have made a “significant” offer to Cano.
Hal Steinbrenner, Yankees managing general partner, said earlier this month that the team was “willing to consider a significant long-term contract” in order to secure Cano’s future in pinstripes. However, Steinbrenner never publicly announced that an offer had been made, according to Hoch. Although the topic is hard to avoid, Cano does not want to discuss his next contract until later in the season and is currently focusing on preparing for the 2013 season.
“I’m focused on playing the game and just helping the team win another championship,” Cano told Hoch. Scott Boras, Cano’s agent, is reportedly seeking a eight to ten year deal for the second baseman, which would earn him around $25 million per season. Cano said he would let Boras handle all contract negotiations with the Yankees.
In a statement to CBS Sports, Boras said that contract negotiations with the Yankees will remain confidential, and will cease if they become a distraction to Cano’s 2013 performance. Cano, who batted .313 with 33 home runs and 94 RBIs last season, has found success during his eight seasons in pinstripes. Cano made his Major League debut in 2005 after spending four years in the Yankees’ farm system. He was named 2005 American League Rookie of the Year for his impressive performance.
Throughout his time with the Yankees, Cano has blasted 177 home runs and has driven in 715 RBIs, while maintaining a .308 batting average. In addition, Cano is a four-time All-Star and has earned two AL Gold Glove Awards and four AL Silver Slugger awards. Cano is set to join the Dominican Republic’s World Baseball Classic squad Sunday to begin workouts. In five exhibition games with the Yankees this spring, Cano had four hits and two RBIs.