Week 16 NFL Power Rankings
Added by Vin D'Anton on December 19, 2012.
Matt Schaub and the Houston Texans are back on top of our power rankings this week.
1. Houston Texans (2): Nice divisional win to get back on track. Let’s see if they can wrap up home field this weekend.
2. Denver Broncos (3): Even when Peyton wasn’t carrying the team they still won. If Knowshon Moreno continues to play this way, they’ll be even more difficult to defend.
3. Atlanta Falcons (4): What a statement; they may have knocked the Giants out of the playoffs. Everyone was doubting them and they show up like that. Hell of a job.
4. San Francisco 49ers (5): Great first half, second half not so much. Still, they won the game. Something tells me they are going to badly beat Seattle Sunday Night.
5. New England Patriots (1): Yes it was a fun game that they nearly pulled out but they were playing bad for most of the game. They have an easy schedule the rest of the way so it doesn’t matter.
6. Green Pay Packers (8): …And just like that Division Champs. In my opinion? They’re the NFC favorites for the Super Bowl.
7. Seattle Seahawks (10): 50 points or more two weeks in a row? Impressive yes; but could spell bad news for this Sunday Night.
8. Indianapolis Colts (6): Tough one on the road but they play at the Chiefs this weekend.
9. Cincinnati Bengals (13): They control their own destiny. Too bad they have to do it against two teams Andy Dalton hasn’t beaten yet.
10. Washington Redskins (14): The towel is in the wash; they are in first place. Unreal.
11. Baltimore Ravens (7): They’re a mess but at least they clinched a playoff berth. Anything can happen.
12. New York Giants (9): Gut tells me this is like 2009 and 2010 where the season ends ugly with multiple blowout losses.
13. Dallas Cowboys (15): Tony Romo has been fantastic in December for the first time. Who knows, maybe he can do it in January too.
14. Chicago Bears (11): A lot of people can be in trouble if they don’t make it to the playoffs. Two of them are Lovie Smith and Jay Cutler.
15. Minnesota Vikings (17): Adrian Peterson may not be human and he may carry the Vikes to the playoffs. I also hope he breaks the record.
16. Pittsburgh Steelers (12): That one has to hurt but again they can fix things this week against the Bengals. Odds are in their favor.
17. New Orleans Saints (19): Where has that been? Eh, maybe it was the Bucs?
18. St. Louis Rams (16): It was a fun season for the Rams and they have something to build off of. One of them is not a wide receiver though.
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (18): They are young and worn out. One national writer thinks their head coach has beaten them down. Who knows?
20. Carolina Panthers (22): CAM! CAM’S BACK! Ron Rivera better keep his job.
21. Miami Dolphins (24): Big deal it was the Jaguars but they are somehow still alive. Great first year for Joe Philbin.
22. Cleveland Browns (21): Just when you think they have something, they lose to a backup QB. Now that the season is officially over, evaluations are being made.
23. Tennessee Titans (29): Boring Monday Night game but nice for Jake Locker to win on the National stage. Hopefully they can get an o-line to protect the kid.
24. New York Jets (20): Greg McElroy has been named the starter for Week 16. In other news…
25. Arizona Cardinals (28): Finally an entertaining win for a stale team.
26. San Diego Chargers (23): So I guess last week was a fluke. Just fire the coach and GM already.
27. Detroit Lions (25): Rough, rough season and its just painful to watch. Matthew Stafford needs some tuning as well; he tries too much to be like Brett Favre.
28. Philadelphia Eagles (27): I have never seen a team with worse looking turnovers than the 2012 Eagles. If Andy Reid isn’t gone, the fans may burn down The Linc.
29. Buffalo Bills (26): Man that was ugly. Can we please end the Toronto nonsense please? The Blue Jays have every player now so they’ll live.
30. Oakland Raiders (32): Wow a win! All thanks to the leg of a drunk.
31. Kansas City Chiefs (30): Man, oh man that was bad Chiefs fans. Who would even want to coach this team?
32. Jacksonville Jaguars (31): This season is worse than their expansion season. Enough said.