Grooming You To Be MVP: Super Bowl Treats from Jen Heasley
Added by Gregg Snyder on January 26, 2012.
By: Jen Heasley
Ahhhh that magical time of year is upon us. Most people believe the holidays come to an end at the stroke of midnight January 1st… however I disagree. My celebrating continues well through the first weekend of February. Food, drink,and fun do not come to a crashing holt New Years Day! Oh no..the excitement and anticipation merely begin to rev up.
Of course, I am talking about the Super Bowl. As we now press toward Super Bowl week, I decided I would start to prepare you for the Ultimate Super Bowl Party. There is no need for you to repeat “Spygate” by trying to steal your neighbor’s tried and true recipes; nor do you have to trip your sister-in-law on the way into the party, only to take credit for her awesome appetizer. Don’t worry…I got you! Over the next few weeks, I will share some outstanding dishes to help you be the MVP of your Super Bowl Party. Due to the fact I am the picture of “un”diagnosed ADD, I typically host themed parties. All the menus I share will be themed, but I suggest you pick and choices the dishes that you believe will make your party a hit!!!
Some Great Italian Dishes
Below are some new recipes and some repeats but all DELICIOUS
Get the guests warmed up with this great finger food!!!
- 2 bags of microwave popcorn or 10 cups popped if you have a popper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped and fried pepperoni
-2 tsp dried Italian mix
- 1 tsp garlic powder
-1/2 tsp red pepper flake
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- cut pepperoni is small pieces and fry over medium low heat. Allow to brown and crispy. Place on paper towel and crumble like you would bacon. In large bowl, toss melted butter and popcorn. Add remaining ingredients and toss a second time.
I have included this recipe because it is Paige’s favorite appetizers anytime we dine Italian. Also, you guest will feel SUPER special with this dish.
2 dozen little neck clam
2 tbsp dried parsley
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic salt
pinch of red pepper flake
3/4 cup chicken stock
3 tbsp olive oil
1 cup bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Scrub all clams thoroughly. Place clams on a baking sheet and put into preheated oven 4-5 minutes allowing the clams to open. Don’t over bake. Remove top part of shell from clam, detach clam from shell, and place back in shell
Set oven to broil
In small bowl, mix bread crumbs, with all seasonings, olive oil and blend. Slowly, mix in chicken stock. Don’t make to wet..Place a dollop of bread crumb mixture on top of each clam and pat into shell. Place all clams on baking sheet.
Broil clams for 5 to 6 minutes
Ultimate Italian Sandwich
I don’t want to brag, but I will. This sandwich is off the hook!!! Please… if you try no other recipe…..this is the one!
8 kaiser rolls
2 whisked eggs
2 lbs roasted deli turkey breast sliced thinly
2 lbs Capicola ham
1 lb Genoa salami sliced very thin
2 lbs provolone cheese
4 cups shredded lettuce
1 red onion slice thin
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup red hots (jarred red peppers commonly found in Italian restaurants)
2/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette
Cut all kaiser rolls. Brush egg wash mixture on top part of roll sprinkle with garlic salt and Italian seasoning. Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes. In medium sized bowl toss shredded lettuce with balsamic vinaigrette and refrigerate. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise with jarred red peppers and refrigerate. Do about 30 minutes in advance of making sandwiches.
Spread mayo/pepper mixture on bottom part of kaiser roll, layer all three meats on to roll with one slice of provolone cheese. Place all rolls on baking sheet and place under broiler. Do multiple sandwiches at once. When cheese is melted add red onions and lettuce mixture on top. Spread top part of kaiser roll with mayo/pepper mixture. ENJOY!!!!
White Pizza Made Easy….
This is easy and an outstanding appetizer
- 2 heads of roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese divided
- loaf of white bread
- Italian seasoning
1. Roast heads of garlic in oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees (cut of top, rub with olive oil, and wrap in foil) Place on baking sheet..
2. Allow garlic to cool, simply squeeze cloves and garlic will come out. In food processor, puree garlic, ricotta, mayo, and cheese.
3. Using a cookie cutter…cut disks from individual slices of the bread. Go over each piece with a rolling-pin to flatten and make dense.
4. Butter both sides of bread, place on baking sheet, and toast both side 3 minutes each in oven pre-heated 350 degrees
5. After toasting both sides, spread cheese mixture on disk, add a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese, and Italian seasoning…bake an additional 6 minutes
Chicken Parmesan Pizza
I call this a pizza because the chicken is pounded very thin and then the cheese, pasta, and sauce are placed on top….
- 2 boneless chicken breast
- 2 cups of Italian bread crumbs
- 2 cups of Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs whisked
- 2 cups of flour
-1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb cooked pasta (I used cut spaghetti by Barilla)
- 2 jars of favorite marinara sauce
1. Butterfly chicken breast..place breast into plastic ziplock bag and pound flat. Do both breasts.
2. Create dredging station..in three separate pans first flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs. Season flour and bread crumbs with garlic powered and dried Italian seasonings. Season breast with salt and pepper. Place breast first in the flour, then the egg, and then the bread crumbs (parmesan cheese should be mixed into the bread crumbs). Do both breasts..
3. In large skillet, heat vegetable oil and butter over medium heat. Place chicken breast in skillet and fry for 4 minute on each side.
4. While frying chicken, prepare pasta according to the package directions
5. When both breasts are fried, place into backing tray and top with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Place under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes..Keep a close eye so as not to burn cheese.
6. Remove from oven and top with pasta in the center. Add more marinara sauce and mozzerella cheese. Place back under broiler.
7. Place on platter and serve!!!
Another reason to love this dish…. it serves a ton of people!!
Ravens Chicken and Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Chopped Basil
2 Tbsp. Chopped Parsley
2 Tbsp. Chopped Scallions
1 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. Chopped Garlic
1 Med. Onion Diced
1 Red Pepper Sliced
1 Zucchini Sliced Thinly on the Diagonal
1 Summer Squash Sliced Thinly on the Diagonal
1 Cup Shredded Carrots
1 Lb. Cooked Chicken Breast Sliced Thinly (grilled or baked)
1 (16oz) Carton Low-fat Cottage Cheese
2 Cups Low-fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 1/2 Cups Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 ( 26oz.) Jar Marinara sauce
12 No-Boil Lasagna Noodles
Coat a non-stick baking pan with cooking spray. Place zucchini, squash, red pepper, onion, and carrots on baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of the grated parmesan, garlic, basil, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper.
Spread about 1/4 cup of marinara sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with non-stick spray. Layer the pan with four lasagna noodles, half of the roasted vegetables, half of the sliced chicken, and half of the cottage cheese mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and grated parmesan. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes. Let lasagna stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serves 10-12
I hope you give these recipes a try…..
Remember..Who Do You Want In Your Kitchen On Game Day???
Find more recipes and ideas from the wonderful Jen Heasley on her blog.