Early Rumors For Yankees & Mets As Free Agency Begins
Added by Gregg Snyder on November 8, 2010.
Major League Baseball free agency officially began on Sunday. The Yankees and Mets could both be players in this years market. The Yankees normally are out to get the biggest names and this year is no different. Across town, the Mets are more likely to look at filling some pieces, rather than chasing the big names.
You never know however. Anything can happen during the free agency period. Here are a few of the latest early rumors surrounding both New York baseball teams.
- The Yankees have likely started contract negotiations with both Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera. While the Yankees and Jeter’s team have exchanged a few words, the negotiations will most likely be as quiet as possible.
- Left handed reliever Royce Ring has elected free agency after being dropped from the 40-man roster.
- Yankees claim they will not go hard after outfielders Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth. Team is happy with an outfield of Gardner, Granderson, Swisher.
- The Yankees have already made initial contact with the agent for Cliff Lee. Lee is the biggest name on this years market and a top priority of the Yankees.
- Expect the Yankees to focus on pitching, both starting and left handed relief.
- Interviews for the open managers position have begun with a long list of candidates. Wally Backman may not be as much of a front runner as most people believe.
- Front office has it’s share of big names. New general manager Sandy Alderson has hired J.P. Ricciardi as an assistant.
- Terry Collins is high on the Mets managerial list. Could he really be the favorite at this point? Collins was the minor league field coordinator for the Mets last season.
- Jesus Feliciano and Omir Santos were dropped from the teams 40-man roster.
- Possible targets are Jon Garland and Grant Balfour. Both would be nice additions for the Mets.